Just Words on a Page

I am a Reference Librarian at a community college and an avid reader. These are my thoughts, reviews, ideas, comments, and everyday musings.

A Wicked Thing

A Wicked Thing - Rhiannon Thomas

I just finished A Wicked Thing by Rhiannon Thomas. It is a re-imagining of the fairy tale, Sleeping Beauty- what happens after she is awoken. Aurora is awoken with a kiss from a handsome prince- only to find out shes been asleep for over 100 years. Her family is dead and there are uprisings happening all over the city. How does one survive when everyone you knew is gone- especially when you're entire life has been planned by complete strangers and you've become a political pawn.

Overall, it was a good book and an interesting take on the Sleeping Beauty fairy tale. It took awhile for me to get into it- the first 100 pages or so were dry and had no conflict what-so-ever. After finishing the book, I know those pages were necessary to provide the back-story so when the final conflict did happen, I wasn't scratching my head asking whaaa??? But I almost gave up during those 100 pages- SO if you read this book: PUSH THROUGH, IT GETS BETTER. Any way- there is a bit of romance and its not a love triangle but a love quadrangle (? I think) its three boys all fighting for the same girl:
1. The prince who awoke her
2. The prince from a neighboring land
3. The commoner
 She doesn't really have an interest in any of them romantically but they all seem to like her- oh to be in that situation. Insert a bit of magic, a semi-wicked soon-to-be-mother-in-law, death and destruction and you have A Wicked Thing.
Oh and apparently this is the first in a series- so there is really no ending or conclusion to the story. It just stops. I HATE when books just "stop."  Yes, it will be a series and yes, the series will need to have continuity BUT that does not mean you just stop. Look at the Harry Potter series, each book is stand-alone but they all fit within a bigger picture. The conflict in each is wrapped up but the overall Voldemort plot continues- exactly how a series should be ((though I am bias, as Harry Potter is my favorite book/series of all time))

Overall: 3/5